This week, we are learning about Interactive Media. This is social networks used which are to show the videos you made. We have to choose at minimum 3 social media, talking about their origins, specialities, strengths and weaknesses.
What are social networks?
Make A Website Hub, No Date
Social Networks are websites that brings people together to talk, share ideas and interests or make new friends. This sort of collaboration is known as social media. We se social media to keep people in contact with friends and families. They are an easier way of finding what everyone is doing in their social life. At this moment, Facebook is the most used social network, with over 1 billion users.
These are some of the social networks which I chose to tell you their history, specialities for each and their strengths and weaknesses.
Howley, Dan, 2015
At 23 years old, Mark Zuckerberg founded Facebook while studying psychology at Harvard University. As a keen computer programmer, he already developed a few social network for fellow students. In February 2004, Mark Zuckeberg launched ‘The Facebook’ which was the original name of this social network. The social network was temporarily extended to Boston University, the Ivy League and eventually every US Universities. In August 2005, it became Facebook.com . American high school were able to sign up in September 2005. It then reached UK Universities. The site’s feature continued to develop during 2007. Users can give gifts to friends, post free classified advertisements and even develop their own applications. In July 2007, there were already over 30 million Facebook users. This really showed the popularity of the app itself.
One of specialities on Facebook linked to the film industry is that you can post pictures and videos. The videos can be as long as you want so there are no limits to the time required on the video when it is posted. Once the video you made is posted, it can be viewed directly on it and can be shared amongst other people.
Facebook allows you to create your own pages. Friends and other people can like your page. Creating your own page is a really good way of showing the things you have done. For example, you could create your own page with all the videos you have made. Once that is done, loads of people can watch the videos and comment on it in a professional way to see what you could do better for example.
Groups are a really good way to contact with others. For example, you can talk about the videos you have made and those who you are talking to can give you advices straight away. You can have a really good connections with those who you are talking.
Facebook live is a way of broadcasting what you do to the wider world. This is a way of having a much bigger audience so that more people can watch you. You can be as creative as you want, using filters. You can express yourself to make it more fun.
Strength and Weaknesses
- Facebook allows the establishment of partnerships between various projects. Using a Facebook fan page, you can increase your brand value and social media presence for your business
- It can be used as a video chat tool. You can make calls to your friends using Facebook’s inbuilt chat video
- For example, if you people to recognise you as a Facebook business expert, you can set your Privacy settings to Public for your most commented and liked ‘Facebook, for business, articles and discussions.’
- One of the main problems with Facebook is with its Privacy. If you posted a picture of something the you did not want others to see, then it is too late.
- There are loads of fake Facebook Profiles. These are usually stalkers or marketers looking to gain more friends and to use it for marketing purposes.
- The main problem of this vast social network is that it is time-consuming. There are so many things to do on Facebook that it can make you a Facebook addict. So you would need to time yourself on how long you spend on it.
Google Developers, No Date
In the mid 1990s, 27 year old jawed Karim was a student at St Paul’s Central High School who had a knack for computers. he constructed an email system for the school and he was then an employee of Paypal.He was a graduate student at Stanford University, which was worth $65 million. This wealth was due to the fact that Karim was one of the creators of Youtube which was sold to Google for $1.65 billion in late 2006.In a newspaper interview he suggested a dating website based on videos, which was launched in April. 2005. But that didn’t work out too well. They didn’t use it as much. So they went back to the ‘drawing board’ and thought of opening an interface where you could choose what you wanted to watch, search for videos, link related videos and give people the ability to tag videos so that other people could find your video with a simple keyword. With all these, it grew massively. If Youtube was launched in 2003, it would not have been as successful because some of the required conditions were not there.
You can upload the video you have created. The upload can be public, private or unclassified. Depending on the video you are making, if it is a video you want other people to see, public is the right choice. If it is a video for your project or for college work, it is your choice, you can make it public or private.
When watching a Youtube video, you can choose the quality you want. This goes from 144p to 1080p and can go even higher if possible. Compared to other social media network, it lets you choose the resolution so that you can watch it in the best quality of your choice
Strength and Weaknesses
- Youtube is a good way of broadcasting your videos to the whole world
- Youtube is useful for giving feedback on news and keeping tracks on your favourite videos and broadcasting.
- You can contact other Youtube users easily
- Some videos can sometimes be inappropriate for children without warning
- If children, can access Youtube, you would probably need a parental block
- Youtube servers are not always online which can cause big problems all around the world.
Google Play, No Date
Pinterest is a social network, launched in 2010 which allows users to visually share and discover new interests by posting or ‘pinning’ images or videos onto their own or other boards which is a collection of pins with a common theme. You can browse what other people have pinned. This social network is pretty much focused on a person’s lifestyle. This allows to people to share their tastes and interests with others. Users can either upload images from their computer or pin things they find on the web using the Pinterest bookmarket.
Compared to Facebook, Pinterest helps users do more things better. Even if you do not have health restrictions, it is super helpful. It can help you find specific things that you want to search to give you more ideas about what picture you want to show to the others.
Strengths and Weaknesses
- It has one focused function
- You can immerse yourself into an enormous visual community
- A pin can take you back to the original website if you want to learn more about the item that was pinned
- Great for retailers, photographers and designers as is acts like a product catalog due to the high visual content (tons of photos)
- Debate whether photos taken from websites are compliant legal rights of the original owner of that photo
- The ease of sharing with others has led to the problem of over sharing. Since people tend to share to like-minded and in the same community as well, it’s not difficult to know that hundreds of people re-shares the same photo to the same hundreds of people over and over again.
- Most Pinterest users are women.
Cafe Bazaar, No date
Instagram is a mobile app that allows users to upload content and share their lives with the world through photos and videos. When a user takes a photo of something, he or she can customise it by choosing a filter, to capture the moment perfectly. The importance of the filters is to make an amateur photo look like a professional one. The app is meant to be used in real-time so that users can share their experience and followers can share in those experiences as they happen..
Instagram was founded in 2010. It started with 1 million monthly users. Then, the photo-sharing app found itself with 100 million uploaded photos by July 2011 and 10 millions users by September of the same year. In 2012, it was told by the company that the 30 million mark user was passed. It reached 80 million monthly users after the acquisition and nearly doubled that to 150 million monthly users by the end of 2013.
Instagram was listed in Time Magazine as one of the top 50 apps for Android in 2013. A few months later, reports surfaced that Instagram surpassed Twitter linking to the number of mobile phone users. The photo-sharing app boasted a whopping 35 million monthly mobile users, almost 5 million more than those on Twitter mobile. This shouldn’t come as a surprise because of Instagram’s history of growth, but, when you think that users can only use the mobile app for its main function, photo uploading and sharing, one might also argue that Instagram has exceeded all expectations.
For example, if you are a product company, you can put pictures of your products among people and nature. You then use the Hashstag to target the desired audience. Including Instagram itself, was has other apps within it like Boomerang. This is a video app in which you take a video an action happening, but this time, the video goes back and forth continuously. Unlike Facebook, when you want to post a picture of something, there are many filters to choose from, to make it more stand-out. This could show the more artistic way of showing other people the picture you want to send with an effect with it.
Strength and Weaknesses
- Use of easy to use filters to make the photos unique, event stylised .
- It is easy to post the picture or video you want to post on other platforms like Facebook, Twitter etc…
- It’s open. Every post is public to all unless you direct message. For example, in FB only people who LIKE will probably see the post. For private individuals, it may not be ideal.
- While you can add pictures and videos at any time you want, it has to be done in REAL time (for example, I want to show a video at exactly 2pm, so I would have to do it at 2pm
- It’s open. Every post is public to all unless you direct a message. For example, in FB only people who LIKE will probably see the post. For private individuals, it may not be ideal.
Dubai Motor Show, No date
Snapchat is a mobile app which can be used to chat with your friends using photos, videos and captions. The app was launched in 2011. There are around 100 million users in the entire world who uses Snapchat. Before Snapchat, there was Facebook, which is where you check updates on family and friends. Instagram was a beautiful photo content and Twitter was the ‘conversation at cocktail parties’. The norm of the internet is that everything is saved. However, Snapchat went the opposite way and predicted on our reality. The moments are temporary and that is exactly what the behavior of Snapchat is meant to do. 1 year after its launch ,Zuckerberg reportedly tried to buy the app for $3 billion. Which is an immense amount of money!
One of the most unique things about Snap Chat is the self-destructing feature for photos a few seconds after the photos have been viewed. An example for this is when you chat to your friend by sending a photo of something to him/her. The photo is deleted automatically after the person who received the photo, has seen the sent photo.
Strengths and Weaknesses
- The application allows the business to be different from other social networks
- One of its main function in Snapchat is deleting photos a few seconds after being sent. This allows for a more private and less risky long-term approach when interacting with others.
- The app allows storytelling to tell others what people are doing.
- One of the topics on Snapchat, that has been publicly criticised were things like sexting, offensive or lurid comment or even abuse of others without any evidence for more investigation
- As it can’t retain messages and content, it can be quite frustrating for Snapchat users.
- Snapchat is not permanent. Pictures are only up for a 24 hour period.
Down Detector, No Date
Twitter began as an idea that co-founder by Jack Dorsey back in 2006. He had originally thought of Twitter as an SMS-based communications platform. Groups of friends were able to keep tabs on what each other were doing on their status updates. But in fact, it was different to what he imagined. Jack sent the first Tweet on March the 21st in 2006, that was when the Twitter was born. It was read as ‘twittr’. The South By Southwest Interactive conference in 2007 saw a massive explosion of people using twitter. There were about 60 Tweets a day during this particular event.In six years, Twitters’ user base has grown to over 200 million active monthly users.
There is a limit to how many words you can write compared to Facebook, Instagram or other social networks. This really makes you think about what you want to express to the others which is a good way for people to think.
Strengths and Weaknesses
- You can connect means that you can connect globally in the most open social network
- Twitter allows you to carefully construct a professional and public image of yourself. It allows you to be whoever you want to be and you can do this by re-tweeting specific news, following other users in a specific industry or field and creating a general profile that outlines who you are and what your aims are
- It is free and easy to use.
- On Twitter, you can easily express what you feel and your concerns. But if you use it in a professional manner, then this is not the place to be negative. You should think about what you want to write and if you think that it could offend people, then the best thing is not to post it.
- It can be time-consuming for many people who use Twitter. If constumers contact you for complaints, if you do not respond appropriately, you could have a very harmful reputation.
- Limited to 140 characters which isn’t a lot
Cafe Bazaar, No date, Available at: https://s.cafebazaar.ir/1/upload/icons/com.instagram.android.png,08/01/2017
Computer Hope, No Date, Available at: http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/s/socinetw.htm, Accessed on 04/01/2017
Dashburst, No Date, Available at:https://blog.dashburst.com/history-of-instagram/, Accessed on 03/01/2017
Developers, Google, No Date, Available at: https://developers.google.com/youtube/branding_guidelines, Accessed on 03/01/2017
Dialia813, 2013, Available at:https://daliamediablog.wordpress.com/2013/03/29/pinterest-strengths-and-weaknesses/, Accessed on 03/01/2017
Dubai Motor Show, Available at:http://www.dubaimotorshow.com/motor-show-2015/welcome/snapchat, Accessed on 08/01/2017
Howley, Dan, 2015, Available at:https://www.yahoo.com/tech/the-top-10-things-that-you-should-know-how-to-do-181727466.html, Accessed on 03/01/2017
Quora, No date, Available at: https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-speciality-of-each-social-network-Tumblr-Flickr-Instagram-Twitter-Facebook-Google+-Pinterest-etc-Why-are-they-different-from-each-other, Accessed on 03/01/2017
Live.fb, No date, Available at: https://live.fb.com/about/, Accessed on 03/01/2017
MacArthur Amanda, 2016,Available at: https://www.lifewire.com/history-of-twitter-3288854. Accessed on 04/01/2017
Make A Website Hub. Available at: https://makeawebsitehub.com/social-media-sites/, Accessed on 04/01/2017
Make Wav, 2015, Available at: https://www.makewav.es/story/690099/title/advantagesanddisadvantagesaboutusingyoutube, Accessed on 03/01/2017
More People, 2016, Available at: http://www.morepeople.co.uk/knowledgecentre/news-and-events/twitter-strengths-vs-weaknesses-/801824792, Accessed on 04/01/2017
Moreau Elise, 2016, Available at:https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-snapchat-3485908, Accessed on 03/01/2017
Philips, Sara, 2007, Available at:: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2007/jul/25/media.newmedia, Accessed on 03/01/2017
Pocket Lint, No date, Available at:http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/135691-instagram-s-new-boomerang-video-app-what-is-it-and-how-does-it-work, Accessed on 04/01/2017
Shout Meloud, No Date, Available at: https://www.shoutmeloud.com/what-are-the-advantages-and-disadvantages-of-facebook.html, Accessed on 03/01/2017
The marketing Lessons, No Date, Available at: https://themarketinglessons.com/2016/06/swot-analysis-for-snapchat/, Accessed on 03/01/2017
Vaynerchuk Gary, 2016, Available at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gary-vaynerchuk/the-snap-generation-a-gui_b_9103216.html, Accessed on 03/01/2017
Windows Central, No Date, Available at: http://www.windowscentral.com/sites/wpcentral.com/files/styles/large/public/topic_images/2016/new-instagram-icon-topic.png?itok=f9FRpYnH,Accessed on 03/01/2017
World History Site, No Date, Available at http://www.worldhistorysite.com/YouTube.html, Accessed on 03/01/2017